A friend showed me this link http://mars-one.com/ Mars One will if they succeed be not just the first humans to set foot on the Red Planet but the first colonists. Their plan is to have the first four Terrans put down roots on Mars in ten years. In waves of four they currently plan to send a total of forty men and women to plant the flag of humanity and look for signs of past and existing life.
My Questions for you are:
- Would you want to go?
- How would you select people?
- Is 40 people too small a group for such a distant colony?
- What would you want to take with you if you could take anything up to say 100lbs of personal items?
- What skills would you add between now and lift off to take with you?
- Who is the last person you’d want to see before you left?
- Would you feel good about having or helping raise kids so far away from the rest of humanity?
- Can this group succeed?
- What about pets?
- What is the biggest risk factor that would keep you from going or backing out if selected?